Day Three Results

first_imgThe Australian Women’s Open team continued their undefeated run in the tournament’s history, but were pushed all the way by a determined New Zealand team. The side trailed at half-time but rallied hard in the second half to take a 9-5. Results:Men’s 30’s: Australia 14 defeated France 2 Men’s Open: Australia 23 defeated France 1 Men’s 40’s: Australia 15 defeated Italy 0 Men’s 35’s: Australia 23 defeated France 1 Senior Mixed: Australia 15 defeated USA 2 Men’s 30’s: Australia 19 defeated Wales 1 Mixed Open: Australia 21 defeated Jersey 1 Men’s 40’s: Australia 16 defeated Niue 1 Men’s 35’s: Australia 15 defeated Wales 2 Women’s Open: Australia 9 defeated New Zealand 5 Men’s Open: Australia 20 defeated Japan 1 Senior Mixed: Australia 17 defeated Wales 1 Men’s 30’s: Australia 16 defeated Scotland 1 Men’s 40’s: Australia 16 defeated France 2Men’s Open: Australia 15 defeated South Africa 1Women’s Open: Australia 16 defeated Singapore 0Senior Mixed: Australia 6 defeated South Africa 1Men’s 35’s: Australia 11 defeated England 1Stay tuned to the website for more information.last_img read more

DeVos reinstates forprofit college watchdog cut under Obama

first_imgEducation Secretary Betsy DeVos is restoring federal recognition of an accrediting group that oversees dozens of for-profit colleges but was shut down by the Obama administration.Her decision released Wednesday says the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools passed muster in 19 of 21 areas reviewed. DeVos says she is restoring the group’s recognition and giving it a year to fix lingering problems.The group, known as ACICS, was responsible for ensuring the quality of 250 institutions before the Obama administration cut ties with it in 2016, alleging poor oversight.It had previously certified now-defunct for-profit chains including Corinthian Colleges and ITT Technical Institute.A judge ordered DeVos to revisit the case in March after ACICS sued, saying the previous administration failed to consider thousands of pages of evidence.Collin Binkley, The Associated Presslast_img read more

Fort St John Hospital Foundation to celebrate 25th Anniversary

first_imgTours will start at 4:00 p.m. and run until 5:00 p.m., with the ceremony taking place from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.The Hospital Foundation’s 25th Anniversary Celebration is taking place on February 21 at the Fort St. John Hospital Lobby.For more information, you can call the Foundation at 250-261-7564. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Hospital Foundation will be holding an evening of celebration in honour of the Foundation’s 25th Anniversary.The evening will include speeches, music performances, and tours of the Hospital.Light refreshments and cake will be served.last_img read more

India retain ICC Test Cship Mace for third year in a row

first_imgDubai: India retained the ICC Test Championship Mace and won the purse of USD one million for a third year running after a memorable season that saw them winning their maiden series in Australia. India finished at the top of the ICC Test team rankings on the cut-off date of April 1 while New Zealand have ensured second place, the world body said in a statement on Monday. “Retaining the ICC Test Championship Mace once again is something we are all really proud of. Our team has been doing well across formats but it gives us extra pleasure to come out on top of the Test rankings,” India captain Virat Kohli said reiterating his love for Test cricket. “We all know of the importance of Test cricket and of how only the best can prosper in the format,” he added. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhA top place finish was never in doubt for India, while New Zealand’s consistent performances over the past year saw them climb from third position, needing them to only avoid losing the home series against Bangladesh last month to finish at the same position. The Kane Williamson-led side, who also had the satisfaction of seeing their captain get the ICC Spirit of Cricket award for 2018, earned USD 500,000 after finishing with 108 points, eight behind India. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterSouth Africa, who had finished second the previous two times, will now get a prize money of USD 200,000 for finishing third with 105 points while Australia who edged out Engalnd on decimal points at 104 points bag USD 100,000. “Our team has a lot of depth and I am sure this will stand us in good stead once the ICC World Test Championship commences later this year. That is again something we are really looking forward to as it adds more context to Test match cricket,” Kohli said. New Zealand captain Kane Williamson said it was an “awesome” achievement for his side to finish second in the ICC Test Team Rankings “…as a team we should be very proud. It’s come off the back of a lot of hard work and perseverance; not just by the eleven guys on the field, but the entire squad and support staff. “It’s been especially pleasing to see the consistency we’ve shown in the longest form of the game over a decent period of time.” ICC chief executive Manu Sawhney congratulated the Indian team while reiterating the importance of Test cricket and looking forward to the start of the World Test Championship after the World Cup in May-July. “I congratulate India on retaining the ICC Test Championship Mace and appreciate the passion Virat Kohli’s team has shown across formats over the past few years. Test cricket has been enjoying a purple patch over the last couple of years with more positive results than ever and a genuine competitive balance between nations,” he said. Nine Test nations will compete across 27 series and 71 Test matches to reach the World Test Championship Final in 2021 where the champions will be crowned.last_img read more

Soccer team faces pair of Big Ten foes

The Ohio State men’s soccer team has had success thanks to great play from its goalkeepers, especially from redshirt freshman Matt Lampson. “He has been playing very well lately,” coach John Bluem said. “I think Matt has taken the position now, it’s going to be his and he is going to try and hold onto it.”The freshman stepped up early in the season and helped guide OSU to its best start in school history.A week ago, the Big Ten named Lampson the conference’s defensive player of the week because of his stellar play against Michigan State.On the season Lampson has three shutouts and .93 goals against average.But Lampson is not the only goalkeeper OSU has on its roster, and Bluem is confident in every one of the young keepers. The Buckeyes have three solid goalies who could potentially take the starting job.Other then Lampson, the Buckeyes have redshirt sophomore Ryan Dalton, who has been seeing more and more play time because of his solid play.OSU also has a true freshman in Alex Wimmer, who is ready to go when his number is called. Had Wimmer not been injured at the beginning of the season, he would have challenged for the starting spot.Coming into the season, Bluem worried his team might be inexperienced at goalie.“No worries anymore,” Bluem said. “Wimmer is ready to go if we need him, Dalton has played really well in the times we used him and Lampson is in really good form right now. I am very pleased at the way they have been playing.”The Buckeyes, however, are in the middle of a tough stretch of games.The team has lost its last two games, 3-0 to Akron and 1-0 to Northwestern. After the Northwestern loss, Bluem questioned the team’s level of effort.“It’s a tough stretch. Hopefully we can address some things and come out with a more intense effort,” Bluem said.With a full schedule ahead, the team wants get back on the field quickly and perform better. OSU is hoping that is the case when they face Cleveland State on Friday.Cleveland State (3-4-3) comes into the game struggling on offense, scoring only one goal in its last three games.But with 11 seniors and the entire defense returning, the Buckeyes will have to be ready.Friday’s match will be played at 5 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. read more

Shorthanded Ohio State womens basketball team looks to bounce back from losing

Then-sophomore guard Ameryst Alston drives to the hoop in a game against Old Dominion Nov. 22 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 75-60.Credit: Liz Young / Editor in chiefComing off its first losing record in 12 years, the Ohio State women’s basketball team is looking forward to the start of a new season.OSU is set to return to action on Sunday coming off of a 17-18 (5-11) season, which culminated in a loss to Iowa in the semifinal of the Big Ten Tournament. The Buckeyes will have to play without freshman forwards Makayla Waterman and Chelsea Mitchell for the season after they suffered ACL injuries during practice. OSU will also be without redshirt-freshman guard and Duke transfer Kianna Holland because of an ACL injury.Freshman guard Kelsey Mitchell said it was difficult to see her teammates suffer such devastating injuries before the start of the season.“It’s a lot to deal with, it’s hard,” Kelsey Mitchell said. “Especially considering that we’re all teammates and we all love each other very much. It just made things a lot harder to see the ones that work hard go down over something they can’t control.”Freshman guard Asia Doss said the team is hoping for a fast recovery for their sidelined teammates and has come closer as a group since the injuries occured.“Everything’s just coming together,” Doss said. “With all the adversity we’ve faced, we’ve come together.”With sophomore forward and Georgetown transfer Shayla Cooper ineligible to play for the Buckeyes until the end of the semester and the dismissal of senior guard Raven Ferguson from the program, OSU will have to compete with only seven active members on the roster to start the season.“Most teams only play seven or eight players,” junior guard Ameryst Alston said. “We’re not going to let that discourage us.”Along with playing more minutes, the team will also have to focus on limiting fouls to keep players in games. Doss said fouling is something the team will have to be careful with but can’t let it change their style of play.“We can’t think about it too much to the point where we don’t play aggressive,” Doss said. “We just have to keep our hands off the offensive player.”Alston said with the lack of depth currently on the roster, the team will need to focus on being in shape to endure extra minutes.“We definitely have to make sure that we’re well conditioned,” Alston said. “We’ve just got to be in good shape and do what we do.”Alston was tied for first in the Big Ten in minutes played last season, averaging 36.7 minutes per game.Coach Kevin McGuff said the addition of Kelsey Mitchell has helped take pressure off of Alston and sees the pair working well together.“They play really well together,” McGuff said. “They’ve got good chemistry, they both share the ball really well, and so they make each other better and their teammates.”Alston had praise for her new teammate as well, and added she looks experienced beyond her years.“She’s such a great player,” Alston said. “She doesn’t look like a freshman at all. She’s very fun to watch and to play with.”The team is also looking forward to the return of redshirt-sophomore forward Kalpana Beach, who missed the previous two seasons because of knee injuries. McGuff said Beach has looked good in practice and hopes she can be a factor for the Buckeyes.“I think she’s making really good progress,” McGuff said. “She’s got great athletic ability and I think can really help us in an area we’re going to need it, rebounding.”Junior guard Cait Craft and freshman forward Alexa Hart are the final two healthy players McGuff has on his roster.McGuff also noted that there is a possibility for a walk-on to join the team but is waiting for the right person to come around.“If we came across somebody that made sense, we’d certainly entertain the idea but it hasn’t happened yet,” McGuff said.OSU is set to start its season with an exhibition game against Eckerd College on Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center. read more

Football Former Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley accused of rape at Westin

Former OSU cornerback Gareon Conley speaks with the media on March 5 at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. Credit: Ashley Nelson | Sports DirectorFormer Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley has been accused of rape that allegedly occurred on April 9 in a hotel in downtown Cleveland.TMZ Sports reported that the police report states the woman allegedly met Conley in an elevator at the Westin hotel and later was in the same room as Conley. In the report, she claims Conley unbuttoned her pants and began to have sex with her. The accuser told police that she said “No, stop. It hurts!” but Conley persisted until he was done. She claimed Conley then kicked her out of the room.No arrests have been made and no charges have been filed at this time. The investigation is ongoing.Conley’s attorney, Kevin Spellacy, told Cleveland 19 News that the allegations are “ludicrous and ridiculous.”The Lantern has submitted a public records request for the police report. read more

Chelsea can still qualify for Champions League – Hazard

first_imgChelsea winger Eden Hazard has shared his hopes that the Blues can still end the season in the top four in the Premier League, but only if they won all of their remaining fixtures.Their extremely poor performance throughout the whole season has helped them to the fifth place in the Premier League standings, trailing after the Spurs with 10 points. However, considering the fact that they have six games prior to the end of the campaign, if they were to get all of the 18 points available, they would most likely take at least the fourth spot.“It is difficult, very difficult, but it is possible. In football anything can happen. So we need it believe, we need to trust in each other and try to win every game. That’s it,” Eden Hazard shared, according to SportsMole.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“We have six games to play in the league, and if we win the six games but don’t finish in the top four, at least we did everything. So no regrets, let’s play one month.”“We know we are playing for Chelsea, when you are playing for Chelsea, you need to give everything to the end of the season, that’s it. If you achieve something, that’s good, but if not you will try for the next year,” Hazard went on to add.last_img read more

Rivaldo Vinicius Junior must earn his spot at Real Madrid

first_imgBrazil legend Rivaldo believes that Vinicius Junior hasn’t played yet because the coach doesn’t think he’s readyExpectations are high for the 18-year-old following his €40m arrival from Brazilian side Flamengo earlier this summer.But, despite an impressive pre-season with Los Blancos in their US tour, Vinicius was left as an unused substitute in the club’s UEFA Super Cup defeat to Atletico Madrid and last Sunday’s opening day win over Getafe in La Liga.Reports have suggested that head coach Julen Lopetegui is trying to protect the teenage winger.But Rivaldo, who spent five years at Barcelona, believes that Vinicius’ absence means that he has not earned a spot in the team yet.“If Vinicius doesn’t play then it’s the coach’s decision, but not one to protect the player,” he explained in an interview with BRT News, via Marca.“If he has been included in the squad then it’s because he’s ready to play.“He shouldn’t lose any more game time.”Sergio Ramos, Real MadridZidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.Real president Florentino Perez is hopeful that the young Brazilian will develop in a similar way to Neymar when he was at Barcelona.“The beginning of the season is the best moment to hand a player his debut,” continued Rivaldo.“When the big matches arrive then it’s more complicated to play a debutant.”La Liga have recently announced that they will be hosting some of their domestic fixture in the United States.“It seems to be a financial issue,” speculated Rivaldo.“It doesn’t take into account the supporters of the Spanish teams.”Rivaldo scored 130 goals in 235 games for Barcelona and won La Liga twice during his five-year spell at Catalonia.last_img read more