Gamesys tops list for GambleAware Q1 donations July 10, 2020 Share Submit Share Mads Eg GensmannLondon hedge fund Parvus Asset Management has reduced its stake in William Hill Plc to 4.9% (42.4 million shares) having previously held a 9.99% interest in the FTSE bookmaker.Completing a share sale this March, Parvus significantly reduces its equity in William Hill becoming the bookmaker’s fifth largest investor.Led by Danish financier Mads Eg Gensmann, Parvus has previously served as William Hill’s largest private investor, at one point servicing a 14% shareholding.As a principal investor of William Hill, Gensmann and Parvus have urged corporate governance to sell the company over seeking any potential industry merger.In 2016, Gensmann publicly criticised William Hill’s board for pursuing a three-way merger with Toronto TSX-listed Amaya Inc and FTSE competitor Rank Group Plc.At the time, Gensmann stated that the deal was ‘simply value destroying, with no logic’, for any William Hill investor.Parvus’ equity reduction in William Hill, has been picked up by New York hedge firm BlackRock Inc, who last week secured a 5% shareholding in the FTSE enterprise.In 2017, William Hill changed the make-up of its investor base, with London private equity firms Silchester and Schroders, both acquiring 5% stakes as principal corporate shareholders.Silchester, a specialist in ‘undervalued investments’ stated that it saw significant potential in William Hill’s long-term value, despite the company facing rising costs and numerous regulatory headwinds. Related Articles StumbleUpon SBC Magazine Issue 10: Kaizen Gaming rebrand and focus for William Hill CEO August 25, 2020 William Hill accelerates transformation agenda to overcome COVID realities August 5, 2020
The County Donegal Heritage Office will be launching the County Donegal ‘Heritage Week’ Event Guide in the County Museum, High Road, Letterkenny on Thursday, August 8 at 12 noon.The event guide will be launched by Dinny McGinley, Minister of State, Department of Arts, Heritage & the Gaeltacht in the presence of Cllr. Ian McGarvey, Mayor of County Donegal.The free, pocket-size, event guide is compiled by the County Donegal Heritage Office and outlines over 90 ‘Heritage Week’ events taking place in County Donegal for National Heritage Week from Saturday, August 17 to Sunday, August 25, 2013. ‘Heritage Week’ event organisers can collect their copies of the event guide at the launch.“Heritage Week is a great opportunity to raise awareness of, and engender pride in, the heritage of County Donegal,” said Joseph Gallagher, County Donegal Heritage Officer.“There will be over 90 ‘Heritage Week’ events taking place in County Donegal including family open days, guided walks, built heritage open houses, heritage site visits, fieldtrips, exhibitions, illustrated presentations, photographic competitions, children’s activities, genealogical research, storytelling sessions, traditional music, craft fairs and traditional skills demonstrations.“Credit must go to the many people, heritage groups, museums, heritage centres and community organisations that have organised events this year to focus attention on the local heritage that helps to define County Donegal’s sense of place. The tremendous efforts of these enthusiastic and committed people (often on a voluntary basis) reinforce the reputation of ‘Heritage Week’ as a truly countywide and national event in the annual calendar.” Michael Starrett, CEO of The Heritage Council highlighted the contribution that heritage makes at the national level.“In recent years, we have seen a significant increase in the understanding and awareness among the general public of the importance and impact heritage can have, both economically and socially,” he said.“Heritage is not about nostalgia, or some misplaced aim to live in the past, but an opportunity to engage with our own story and in particular the natural and cultural heritage of where we live. The theme of Heritage Week 2013, ‘Discover the Past. Build the Future’ reflects this thinking. With limited support, communities and organisations across Ireland have come together to animate the heritage resources on our doorsteps, often unnoticed and underappreciated.The value of the week is the sheer number of stakeholders from state agencies, local authorities, community groups and volunteers, that come together to host a public education programme that is open and accessible to all ages.”Copies of the County Donegal ‘Heritage Week’ Event Guide will be available free-of-charge from libraries, public service centres, museums, heritage centres and tourist offices and on-line at the County Donegal Heritage Office website at: www.donegalcoco.ie/heritage. Updates are available on the National Heritage Week website at: www.heritageweek.ie SPECIAL LAUNCH OF EVENT GUIDE FOR DONEGAL HERITAGE WEEK was last modified: August 2nd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Heritage Weekevent guide
In 1993 Dave Albert and his counterparts on Humboldt State football’s offensive line engraved their names into a section of freshly laid cement near the Lumberjacks’ old practice field. On the slab they wrote they would come back in 25 years to reunite at the Lumberjacks’ yearly homecoming game. Today, Albert and the majority of his fellow linemen from the ‘93 team will get together to watch their final game at the Redwood Bowl when HSU hosts Simon Fraser. Kick off is at 6 p.m.It will be a …
BOSTON — With a new twist in Erik Karlsson’s injury saga, Gus Nyquist’s addition and the passing of the NHL’s trade deadline, it’s a perfect day to turn the stage over to Sharks territory.The Sharks entered Wednesday’s action trailing the Calgary Flames by five points for first place in the Pacific Division with just 18 games left on the schedule. In the meantime, several of the Sharks Western Conference rivals — the Vegas Golden Knights, the Winnipeg Jets and the Nashville Predators — …
An amazing video of a five-metre-tall female giraffe wandering into a restaurant at the Lion Park near Johannesburg, as patrons joke and laugh nervously, has gone viral on the internet, appearing on Huffington Post, the Mirror, the New York Daily News and Fox News.Many of the video posts begin with, “So this giraffe walked into a restaurant …”Watch the video:Text by Mary Alexander
meyer calls out camperWhen Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer is speaking, you better have your eyes on him. Thursday, Meyer spoke briefly at a satellite camp in New Jersey, giving recruits advice on how to conduct themselves in front of coaches to impress them. Meyer wasn’t thrilled with one camper, who he claims was “looking all over the place” while he was talking.Here’s video, via NUC Sports. Meyer also pitcher his program, boasting about the team’s 50-4 record the past few years and its impressive NFL Draft. Meyer is one of the most respected coaches in the nation, so the players would be wise to listen.
The final Subway Series contest of the 2017 season takes place this evening at Citi Field, and if you put on the game, you might get the impression that the Yankees and Mets have a big-time rivalry going. It’s not that way for most baseball fans, however. The numbers show that only a minority actually like one team but not the other, while far more people hold the same opinion of both teams (good or bad) or just don’t care about one or both. In other words, most fans will probably be fine no matter the outcome tonight.That’s according to data from a combination of two FiveThirtyEight-commissioned SurveyMonkey Audience polls conducted in June and July. SurveyMonkey asked baseball fans across the country how they felt — whether they had a favorable view, an unfavorable view or didn’t know enough to say — about each MLB team. Here, we’re examining a subset of that data, totaling 321 baseball fans who were asked specifically about the Mets and Yankees.Of those, many fans (29 percent) held a favorable view of both the Mets and the Yankees. It’s not just that a fairly high percentage liked both teams. It’s that if you like one team, it actually increases your chance of liking the other team. While just 49 percent of the overall subsample held a favorable view of the Mets, 66 percent of fans who viewed the Yankees favorably felt the same way about the Mets. And a similar story holds in reverse. Only 44 percent of the fans in our subsample held a favorable view of the Yankees, but that percentage jumped to 59 percent among fans who held a favorable view of the Mets.While the idea that someone could simultaneously like the Mets and the Yankees is unthinkable to this Yankee hater, it actually makes a lot of sense. Fans often root for the hometown team, whether it be in their city or even their state. So it’s not unreasonable to say you like both the Mets and the Yankees because they are both from New York. Indeed, among our subsample who live in New York state, the Mets and Yankees sport a 71 percent and a 67 percent favorable rating, respectively.At the other end of the spectrum, 21 percent of baseball fans dislike both franchises. So that means 50 percent of baseball fans either like both the Yankees and Mets, or dislike both — not quite what you’d expect from a heated rivalry where battle lines are drawn and allegiances sworn. In fact, disliking the Mets or the Yankees actually makes one less apt to like the other team as well. The Mets sport just a 41 percent favorable rating among those who dislike the Yankees, 8 points below their overall favorable rating. And the Yankees do even worse among fans who dislike the Mets, with a 33 percent favorable rating — far below their 44 percent favorable mark overall.Again, part of this may just have to do with disliking a city or a state. As an illustration of this, the Mets and Yankees sport favorable ratings of just 40 percent and 30 percent among our subsample that hailed from New England. New England, of course, is a natural geographic rival of New York.Still, there are some people who do like the Mets and dislike the Yankees, and vice versa. One-fifth (20 percent) of fans hold a favorable view of the Mets and an unfavorable view of the Yankees. Meanwhile, 11 percent of fans hold a favorable view of the Yankees but an unfavorable view of the Mets. These fans, however, total only about a third of our subsample. That’s not much more than the 20 percent of fans who hold no opinion of at least one (if not both) teams.Don’t tell that to the New Yorkers in the stands, jawing at each other about the two ballclubs. But the bottom line is that most baseball fans around the country won’t have much of anything on the line in tonight’s Subway Series finale.
OSU sophomore midfielder Abdi Mohamed dribbles the ball against UC Santa Barbara at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Credit: Ohio State AthleticsThe Ohio State Men’s Soccer team remains winless on the season, losing a tough match 2-1 against Oregon State on the road in double overtime.The Buckeyes first goal of the game, and first of 2016, came from forward Nate Kohl. The junior was able to work his way around a defender to net his first career goal in the 28th minute.Ohio State entered the half with a 1-0 lead. Oregon State, however, would not go quietly into the night.In the 64th minute, freshman midfielder David Norman Jr. had a driving run into the box, where he was able to play the ball to junior forward Jordan Jones who put it into the back right of the net for the equalizer, at 1-1.The game winner would not come until double overtime, where the Beavers would come out on top.Just 17 seconds into the second overtime period, Oregon State sophomore forward Don Tchilao was able to surpass multiple defenders in the box and find the back of the net for the win.The Buckeyes again were outmatched on the offensive side of the ball, being outshot 19-7, despite having the advantage in corner kicks at 12-5.Foul calls were a trend throughout the match for both teams — 13 issued to Ohio State and 12 to Oregon State.The Buckeyes are still looking for their first win, falling to 0-4-0 on the season.It is the second year in a row that the team is off to a slow start, after beginning last season with a 1-4 record. OSU would eventually bounce back and rattle off eight straight victories to get back on track en route to a Big Ten Championship season.Coach John Bluem’s squad hopes to turn things around at home this Friday at 7:30 p.m. as they take on their first Big Ten opponent in Northwestern.
The Ohio State men’s soccer team has had success thanks to great play from its goalkeepers, especially from redshirt freshman Matt Lampson. “He has been playing very well lately,” coach John Bluem said. “I think Matt has taken the position now, it’s going to be his and he is going to try and hold onto it.”The freshman stepped up early in the season and helped guide OSU to its best start in school history.A week ago, the Big Ten named Lampson the conference’s defensive player of the week because of his stellar play against Michigan State.On the season Lampson has three shutouts and .93 goals against average.But Lampson is not the only goalkeeper OSU has on its roster, and Bluem is confident in every one of the young keepers. The Buckeyes have three solid goalies who could potentially take the starting job.Other then Lampson, the Buckeyes have redshirt sophomore Ryan Dalton, who has been seeing more and more play time because of his solid play.OSU also has a true freshman in Alex Wimmer, who is ready to go when his number is called. Had Wimmer not been injured at the beginning of the season, he would have challenged for the starting spot.Coming into the season, Bluem worried his team might be inexperienced at goalie.“No worries anymore,” Bluem said. “Wimmer is ready to go if we need him, Dalton has played really well in the times we used him and Lampson is in really good form right now. I am very pleased at the way they have been playing.”The Buckeyes, however, are in the middle of a tough stretch of games.The team has lost its last two games, 3-0 to Akron and 1-0 to Northwestern. After the Northwestern loss, Bluem questioned the team’s level of effort.“It’s a tough stretch. Hopefully we can address some things and come out with a more intense effort,” Bluem said.With a full schedule ahead, the team wants get back on the field quickly and perform better. OSU is hoping that is the case when they face Cleveland State on Friday.Cleveland State (3-4-3) comes into the game struggling on offense, scoring only one goal in its last three games.But with 11 seniors and the entire defense returning, the Buckeyes will have to be ready.Friday’s match will be played at 5 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
With all the controversy surrounding Michigan athletics lately, it’s a sure bet Woody Hayes is smiling down from heaven.Coach John Beilein’s men’s basketball team, a preseason sleeper to win the Big Ten and ranked No. 15 in the preseason AP poll, is 13-15 on the year. After reaching the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season, the Wolverines’ current campaign has been marred by poor shooting, inconsistent play and player insubordination. Junior guard Manny Harris, the team’s leader in scoring and assists, was suspended for his team’s Jan. 23 game against Purdue following an incident in practice.The two-time defending Big Ten Champion Wolverine men’s swimming and diving team was upset by Ohio State last weekend at the Big Ten Tournament, their first loss to OSU in the tournament since 1978. The favored Maize and Blue allowed the Buckeyes to score the second most points in Big Ten Championship history and win their first conference crown since 1956.If that wasn’t enough, the football program, the crowning jewel of Michigan athletics, is under NCAA investigation.The NCAA accused Michigan and coach Rich Rodriguez of five major rule violations. On Feb. 22, the NCAA said Rodriguez “failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the football program,” and blamed the athletic department for not making sure the football program was in compliance with NCAA regulations.The report also said Rodriguez was negligent of his staff and the accused violations they were committing. Furthermore, the report says Rodriguez was ignorant of whether or not his players were following NCAA rules, specifically those which govern the time allotted for practice and football-related activities.These allegations by the NCAA stem from August 2009 reports. According to these reports, players on the 2008 and 2009 teams told the Detroit Free Press that the amount of time they spend on football activities during the season and in the offseason exceeds NCAA limits.One anonymous player said that in-season Sundays were spent at the football facility from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., with a one-hour lunch. For those of you who are mathematically challenged like myself, that’s an 11-hour day. The NCAA daily maximum is four hours; the weekly maximum is 20.A complementary letter from the NCAA to Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman dictated that Michigan “should understand that all of the alleged violations set forth in the document” are considered to be “potential major violations of NCAA legislation, unless designated as secondary.”Coleman, believe it or not, may actually have a more serious issue to deal with. When the University of Michigan Board of Regents met last month in Coleman’s office for an update on the NCAA investigation of the football program, they did so behind closed doors.Shutting out the media and the public isn’t permissible in most cases, at least according to a lawsuit filed by a Michigan alumnus.The suit accuses the Michigan Board of Regents of violating the Michigan Open Meetings Act, which places restrictions on how and why such public bodies can meet in private. Robert Davis, the plaintiff who also claims he “lives for UM football and basketball,” told The Detroit Free Press that he simply wants, “university officials to follow the same rules that they hold the student-athletes to.” Now there’s a novel concept.Look, I’m not trying to bash Michigan. The issues facing a few of their athletic programs are quite serious. Lawsuits and NCAA investigations are no laughing matter. However, I’d be willing to bet my OSU football tickets that at least five or six, and perhaps as many as 10, elite college football programs surpass NCAA practice limits on a regular basis.Maybe Michigan was snake-bitten by a few bad apples disgruntled with playing time. Maybe the rumors that Rodriguez rubs his players the wrong way because he constantly berates them are true, compelling them to vent to the media. Either way, it seems as if a few souls at Michigan could use a life lesson.When OSU offensive guard Justin Boren transferred from UM after his sophomore season, he claimed the football program’s “family values had eroded,” under Rodriguez. Growing up, one value my mother instilled in me was that honesty is always the best policy. I hope Michigan makes that phrase their motto in the coming months. Otherwise, their athletic programs will fall further from grace.