DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP):Russia will face any “necessary actions and sanctions” after investigators alleged that footballers had suspicious drug-test samples covered up as part of a wider doping scandal in the 2018 World Cup host nation, FIFA President Gianni Infantino said yesterday.Five suspicious samples in the Russian men’s under-17 and under-21 national teams in 2013 and 2014 were exposed in emails released earlier this month by the World Anti-Doping Agency, accompanying investigator, Richard McLaren’s, report into Russian doping.Then-sports minister Vitaly Mutko, who is also in charge of Russia’s World Cup preparations, has been accused of covering up a doping case in the Russian league. FIFA’s ethics committee has said it will examine McLaren’s report and the role of Mutko, who sits on FIFA’s ruling council.WORKING TOGETHERAsked whether he still trusts Mutko, Infantino said: “He is a council member and, of course, we are working together.””If anything has happened with regards to doping cases in football which were covered up and which now are unveiled, then both FIFA as well as UEFA, depending on what the competence is for these particular cases, will be dealing with them and we will take the necessary actions and sanctions,” Infantino told a sports conference in Dubai.”I don’t think we should mix up a doping issue, even if it is a big doping issue, with the organisation for the World Cup which is a completely different thing where it comes to anti-doping in the World Cup. This is a FIFA matter. It will be dealt with by FIFA officials in world accredited laboratories … very probably in Switzerland.”Russia was accused by McLaren of subverting doping procedures at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, with intelligence officers involved in tampering with samples of Russian medal winners.”We will guarantee that the World Cup in Russia will be completely safe when it comes to anti-doping matters or when it comes to doping cases,” Infantino said.
PBA IMAGESKiefer Ravena took charge when it mattered the most, drilling the turnaround jumper over the outstretched arms of Chris Newsome with 0.9 seconds to spare and lifting NLEX to a thrilling 87-85 victory over Meralco Friday in the 2018 PBA Philippine Cup at Cuneta Astrodome.The super-rookie topped the Road Warriors with 21 points, seven rebounds, and four assists as he commandeered his team’s belated run after staring at a 10-point deficit midway in the fourth period.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson With NLEX trailing 72-82, Ravena seized the spotlight and led the 13-0 blast to grab the lead, including a gutsy go-ahead trey with 43.4 seconds remaining to push the Road Warriors up, 83-82.Baser Amer committed a turnover on the other end which led to JR Quiñahan extending the NLEX lead to three, 85-82, but Newsome kept the Bolts alive as he completed the and-one play off of a Ravena foul to knot the score at 85 in the last 15.3 ticks.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkThat was all the time the two-time UAAP MVP needed to atone for his miscue, taking control of the rock and propelling the Road Warriors to an even 4-4 slate.Larry Fonacier went perfect from downtown with his 4-of-4 sniping and wound up with 17 markers and six boards. Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increases MOST READ Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year LATEST STORIES Kevin Alas added 12 points and 10 rebounds, and Alex Mallari had 12 markers and 10 boards for NLEX.Meralco could not sustain its hot start where it erected an 18-point lead in the first half, spoiling the big night from seldom-used Nico Salva who fired a career-best 20 points on an efficient 9-of-12 shooting.Newsome had 15 markers, 10 rebounds, and seven assists, while Amer got 14 points and five boards in the Bolts’ third straight defeat to drop to 2-6.The Scores:NLEX 87 — Ravena 21, Fonacier 17, Alas 15, Mallari 12, Al-Hussaini 6, Quiñahan 6, Baguio 4, Gotladera 2, Miranda 2, Monfort 2, Uyloan 0, Soyud 0, Taulava 0.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Tough love from mom lights fire under Mike DiGregorio Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours MERALCO 85 — Salva 20, Newsome 15, Amer 14, Hugnatan 10, Lanete 10, Caram 7, Canaleta 4, Hodge 3, Bono 2, Dillinger 0, Tolomia 0.Quarters: 10-26, 38-37, 62-65, 87-85.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Almazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak
Air France pilots went on a four-day strike over pay cuts on Saturday that could disrupt transport plans for football fans on the second day of Europe’s soccer championship.Air France, part of Franco-Dutch group, said on Saturday it estimated that about 25 percent of its pilots would strike. Union SNPL said 70 percent of pilots would not show up.”I heard this morning the SNPL president saying that 70 percent of the pilots would strike, which is not the case. Our estimate today is that 25 percent of the pilots are taking part in the movement,” Chief Executive Frederic Gagey told RTL radio.MAJORITY FLIGHTS IN OPERATIONAir France said in a statement that on Saturday it was operating 83 percent of flights – 93 percent of the long-haul flights from Paris, 91 percent of its domestic flights and 73 percent of its medium-haul flights to and from Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport.For Sunday, Air France said it expected that 27 percent of the pilots would strike and expected to operate almost 80 percent of its flights. An Air France spokeswoman told Reuters it expected a similar trend for Monday.Gagey said on Thursday the four-day walkout over pay cuts would cost the airline about 5 million euros ($5.65 million) each day.The strike was called by unions Syndicat National des Pilotes de Ligne (SNPL), which represents more than half of the airline’s pilots, and SPAF, which represents about a quarter, after negotiations this week collapsed.”Rather than arguing about the number of pilots on strike we would prefer to be at a negotiating table,” SNPL spokesman Emmanuel Mistralli told Reuters on Saturday.advertisementGagey told RTL his door was “always open” but said: “I will not negotiate what is not negotiable.”The pilots strike comes amid weeks of nationwide protests against plans to reform France’s strict labour laws, which have blocked refineries, disrupted rail travel and left garbage piling up on the streets of Paris.
Remember me Username Lost your password? Not a subscriber? Sign up for The Texas Lawbook. Password When Baker Botts partners elected John Martin to be its new leader this week, the 179-year-old Houston-based corporate law firm sent a message that its future growth is likely beyond the borders of Texas. Martin, corporate transactional lawyer in the firm’s Palo Alto office, is Baker Botts’s first managing partner based outside the state . . .You must be a subscriber to The Texas Lawbook to access this content.