first_imgSATURDAY10 a.m: Man United VS West Ham12:30 p.m: Chelsea VS Bournemouth7 p.m: West Brom VS Tottenham10 p.m: Southampton VS Aston VillaDigicel SPORTSMAX5 p.m: Arsenal VS SunderlandSUNDAY DIGICELSPORTSMAX 212 a.m: Watford VS Norwich City3 a.m: Swansea City VS Leicester City11 a.m: Newcastle United VS Liverpool DIGICELSPORTSMAX 2center_img ON THIS WEEKENDlast_img

Lucas legacy turns to Folklore

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa AnitaBob Baffert, who trains Talullah Lula, was asked what it will take to defeat Folklore. “An act of God,” he said. Proposed, perfectly ridden by jockey Patrick Valenzuela, won the first stakes race of her career when she convincingly handled her six rivals in the Grade II $150,000 El Encino Stakes for 4-year-old fillies at 1 1/16 miles on Sunday. Both Brother Derek and Stevie Wonderboy, the one-two finishers in Saturday’s San Rafael Stakes, came out of the race in good order and are on course for a possible rematch in the Santa Catalina Stakes on March 4. “Everything looked good (Sunday morning) and it looks like a good time to take a few extra weeks to bring him back, so he’ll be fresh for March, April and May,” Brother Derek’s trainer Dan Hendricks said. ARCADIA – Folklore, making her first start since winning the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies last October at Belmont Park in New York, will attract most of the attention – betting and otherwise – when she takes the track this afternoon in the $150,000 Santa Ynez Stakes. Owned by Bob and Beverly Lewis, Folklore will be coupled in the wagering with stablemate Dance Daily, and the entry, trained by D. Wayne Lukas, is the 1-5 favorite to beat their four rivals, Trick’s Pic, Talullah Lula, My Little Monkey and Lake Como in the Grade II sprint at seven furlongs for 3-year-old fillies. Folklore, expected to be honored with an Eclipse Award next week as the best 2-year-old filly in 2005, will be the seventh winner in that category for Lukas. “That’s pretty remarkable,” the Hall of Fame trainer said with humility and pride. “She’s doing very, very well. All systems are go. We’re excited to see her make her (3-year-old) debut.” center_img Chris Emigh, 36, a native of Portsmouth, Virginia, and the leading rider at Hawthorne Park in Chicago, will ride in Southern California for the immediate future. He was 22nd in the nation last year in number of victories with 219. Sir Beaufort Stakes winner Chinese Dragon, who has designs on the $300,000 Kilroe Mile on March 4, could make his next start in Louisiana and is expected to leave Southern California on Tuesday. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Jones, 63, cracked University of Alabama color barrier

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! ATLANTA – Vivian Malone Jones, one of two black students whose effort to enroll at the University of Alabama led to George Wallace’s infamous “stand in the schoolhouse door” in 1963, died Thursday. She was 63. Jones, who went on to become the first black to graduate from the school, died at Atlanta Medical Center, where she had been admitted Tuesday after suffering a stroke, said her sister, Sharon Malone. “She was absolutely fine Monday,” Sharon Malone said. Jones, a retired federal worker who lived in Atlanta, grew up in Mobile, Ala. She had enrolled at historically black Alabama A&M University in Huntsville when she transferred to the University of Alabama in 1963. The move led to then-Gov. Wallace’s infamous stand in defiance of orders to admit black students. Jones and James Hood, accompanied by then-Deputy U.S. Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach, enrolled after Wallace finished his statement and left. At an appearance last year in Mobile, she recalled meeting with Wallace in 1996, when the former governor was in frail health. He died in 1998. “I asked him why did he do it,” she said. “He said he did what he felt needed to be done at that point in time, but he would not do that today. At that point, we spoke – I spoke – of forgiveness.” She recalled that she and Hood waited in a car until Wallace read his proclamation. Finally, when he stepped aside, she said, that allowed them to enter the university. “I was never afraid. I did have some apprehensions in my mind, though, especially having gone to segregated, ‘separate, but equal’ schools,” she said. Jones said her religious beliefs gave her confidence to persist, and she graduated in 1965. “God was with me,” she said. Hood left after a few months but returned to receive his doctorate in 1997. Now a retired educator living in Madison, Wis., Hood said Jones was a quiet person in public, but she always provided encouragement to him during the events at Alabama. “She was a very determined person, probably more so than I was,” he said Thursday. He said the agreement between the White House and Wallace’s aides provided that Wallace would step aside. They had already enrolled quietly at the federal courthouse in Birmingham, and all they had to do was pay their fees and leave, he said. He recalled talking to President Kennedy on the telephone. “We knew it was going to be historic but we had no idea what the impact would be,” he said. After graduating, Jones went on to work for the U.S. Justice Department in Washington and for the Environmental Protection Agency in Atlanta, where she retired, her sister said.last_img read more